[INDOLOGY] Examples of very ambiguous devanagari Sanskrit sentences

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sun Feb 8 20:25:13 UTC 2015

In the Bṛhadāraṇyaka Upaniṣad 4.3 there is a sentence that, if memory
serves, can be read as either sam enena vadiṣya iti '[He thought], "I
will speak with him"' or sa mene na vadiṣya iti 'He thought, "I will not
say [all that I know]"'. Again if memory serves, Patrick Olivelle and
Śaṅkara -- two great authorities in their different ways -- both uphold
the latter meaning, but I admit the former has always made more sense to
me (not least because the two people concerned do end up conversing in
the very next sentence, using the verb sam+vad).

Martin Gansten