[INDOLOGY] recent publications: conference reports over 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 04:21:43 UTC 2015

Dear Nagaraj,

An important source for these kinds of Vedic interpretation is the very old
*Nirukta*. There, Yāska contrasts the adhidaivatam interpretation with the
adhyātmam interpretation at 3.12, 10.26, 12.37, 12.38, 13.11, 14.12, 14.13,
14.14, 14.15, 14.16, 14.18, 14.19, 14.21, 14.23, 14.24, 14.25, and 14.27.
He contrasts the adhiyajñam interpretation with the adhidaivatam
interpretation at 11.4. A term such as adhibhūtam or ādhibhautikam is not
used by Yāska.

Vasudeva S. Agrawala wrote about the adhyātma interpretation of the Vedas
in his early article, “The Vedas and Adhyātma Tradition,” in *Indian
Culture*, vol. 5, no. 3, January 1939, pp. 285-292. I have scanned this
article and posted it here:
http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/wp-content/uploads/Vedas-and-Adhy%C4%81tma-Tradition.pdf.
He later applied the adhyātma interpretation to some Vedic hymns and themes
in four English books, and several journal articles. The four books are:

Sparks from the Vedic Fire [A New Approach to Vedic Symbolism]. Varanasi:
School of Vedic Studies, Banaras Hindu University, 1962.

Vedic Lectures [Proceedings of the Summer School of Vedic Studies],
May-June 1960. Varanasi: School of Vedic Studies, Banaras Hindu University,
1963.

Hymn of Creation (Nāsadīya Sūkta, Ṛigveda X.129). Varanasi: Prithivi
Prakashan, 1963.

The Thousand-Syllabled Speech [Being a Study in Cosmic Symbolism in Its
Vedic Version]: I. Vision in Long Darkness, Introduction and Analysis, Text
and Translation of the Asya-Vāmīya Sūkta of Ṛishi Dīrghatamas (Ṛigveda
1.164.1-52). Varanasi: Vedāraṇyaka Ashram, 1963.

This last book must be considered his magnum opus on this topic. In it he
gives a sustained and detailed interpretation of this difficult Vedic hymn
according to the adhyātma interpretation. To do this, he draws the meanings
of terms from the Vedic writings, especially the Brāhmaṇas.

Best regards,

David Reigle

Colorado, U.S.A.