[INDOLOGY] Hindi v Sanskrit

a.murugaiyan a.murugaiyan at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 21 14:12:15 UTC 2015

Dear Professor Hart and Colleagues,
The morphosyntax and word order in Old and Pre-old Tamil are very
captivating and intriguing.The only structure where we notice a strict
and regular constituent order is in the case of “determinans-
determinatum”. In other cases the order of constituent is conditioned
mostly by “information structure” rather than the strictly syntactic
functions.

I would like to complete the bibliographical reference and add few more
publications on the issue.

Our work on a selected corpus of Classical Tamil has been published: A.
Murugaiyan et Christiane Pilot-Raichoor, (2004) « Les prédications
indifférenciées en dravidien : témoins d'une évolution typologique
archaïque », /Les constituants prédicatifs et la diversité des langues,
(Mémoires de la Sociéte Linguistique de Paris/, tome 14), Louvain,
Peeters, p. 155-177.

We are currently working on an extended corpus of the Sangam literature.

Pilot-Raichoor has published another important article based on the
Tamil-Brāhmī corpus

(2012)“Tamil Brahmi inscriptions: a Critical Landmark in the History of
the Dravidian Languages” in Appasamy Murugaiyan (Ed.) /New Dimensions in
Tamil Epigraphy: /(Papers from symposia held at Ecole Pratique des
Hautes Etudes, Section des Sciences historiques et philologiques, Paris
in 2005 and 2006; and few special papers), CreA publishers, Chennai,
317-349.

On the Sangam texts, there is an article on what is known as “Dative
Subjects” among the South Asian linguists: A. Murugaiyan, 2004. « Note
sur les prédications expérientielles en tamoul classique », /Bulletin de
la Société de Linguistique de Paris, /99, p. 363-382.

On the Tamil Inscriptions I have published two articles:

A. Murugaiyan. 2012. «Hero Stone Inscriptions in Tamil (450-650 CE.):
Text to Meaning: A Functional Perspective», Appasamy Murugaiyan (Ed.)
/New Dimensions in Tamil Epigraphy: /(Papers from symposia held at Ecole
Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Section des Sciences historiques et
philologiques, Paris in 2005 and 2006; and few special papers), CreA
publishers, Chennai, 316-351.

And A. Murugaiyan. 2015. Identifying Basic Constituent Order in Old
Tamil: Issues in historical linguistics with Special Reference to Tamil
Epigraphic texts (400-650 CE). /International Journal of Dravidian
Linguistics, /Vol. 44 No. 2. 1-18.

Best wishes,
A. Murugaiyan

	*Appasamy Murugaiyan*