[INDOLOGY] Vedic/Sutra affiliation

Klaus Karttunen klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi
Wed Aug 19 11:43:22 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,
I dont know the answer (but like very much to learn it), but one fact is that at least in some parts of India Ṛgveda is considered more prestigious than others. I have met Brahmans in South India, who proudly announce to belong to Rigveda, but when asked about their Shakha, admit to belong to Apastamba.

Best,
Klaus

Klaus Karttunen
South Asian and Indoeuropean Studies
Asian and African Studies, Department of World Cultures
PL 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B)
00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND
Tel +358-(0)2941 4482418
Fax +358-(0)2941 22094