[INDOLOGY] Vedic/Sutra affiliation

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Aug 19 11:37:36 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

     We know that each Brahmin is affiliated traditionally with a
particular Veda/Shakha and a particular Sūtra.  However, what is the ritual
affiliation for those Brahmins who are traditionally called Dvivedi,
Trivedi and Chaturvedi?  Do they have concurrent multiple Vedic/Sutra
affiliations?  I was told by the Ratate family in Banaras that their
personal Vedic affiliation is with Ṛgveda, and yet
academically/professionally they became Atharvavedins.  I am wondering if
the situation with Dvivedis, Trivedis and Chaturvedis is similar, in the
sense that they academically study two, three or four Vedas, and yet have a
particular one Veda as their family affiliation.  Any information,
including textual references, would be helpful.  With best wishes,

Madhav Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

--
Madhav M. Deshpande