[INDOLOGY] Hindi v Sanskrit

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 06:25:23 UTC 2015

16.8.15

Dear List,

<However, the long Sanskrit compounds actually correspond to the word order
in Apabhramsha and NIA languages.

The best example are the long compounds in the songs of the Gitagovinda -
it would not be difficult to render these into a modern language adding
necessary postposition/(and/ or/)endings.>

This is a valid comment. But, as Professor Stendahl has special attention
on the Gītagovinda one understands the validity of her comments as
admittedly of non-general nature. Mine is not an adverse comment but just a
pointer to the unwritten part of the comment. The author is certainly aware
of the emergence of long compounds prior to the emergence of Apabhraṁśa.

The simple nature of the compound, the Gītagovinda heritage and certainly,
as observed by the correspondent, under the influence of the literature of
the living languages, continued in the modern non-traditional Sanskrit
literature.

But the illustrations, self-made or cited, given by the late ālaṅkārikas
and exemplifying the traditional literature of the day, are not necessarily
simple. The natural beauty of Kālidāsa is lost. Though a general statement
will not be valid for all, one observes that, on the whole, the lesser
verses of Bhāravi, Māgha, Bhaṭṭi etc. exerted more influence. Their
compelling influence is sometimes in evidence in NIA too.

Best

Dipak Bhattacharya