[INDOLOGY] Hindi v Sanskrit

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 15 16:23:15 UTC 2015

Deepak Bhattacharya is right - the author of this article is certainly not a linguist!
However, the long Sanskrit compounds actually correspond to the word order in Apabhramsha and NIA languages.
The best example are the long compounds in the songs of the Gitagovinda - it would not be difficult to render these
into a modern language adding necessary postposition/(and/ or/)endings. This explains the popularity of the Gitagovinda.
Even somebody not versed in Sanskrit could actually follow the meaning in the songs. Add to these that the songs only
have present indicative, usually 3rd person sing., or imperative. The past is expressed by the past participle in the songs.
Very much like an  Apabhramsha/NIA language. See my Le Giitagovinda. Tradition et innovation dans le kaavya,  (Stockholm 1977)
unfortunately written in French and hence not very much read.
The Sanskrit compound is not at all as complicated as students (and even teachers) like to think.
Best
Stellla Sandahl