[INDOLOGY] Second-syllable rhyming in Dravidian

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Aug 9 11:20:19 UTC 2015

Dear Professor Paturi,

This is not true!

SSR seems to happen frequently as "inter-line" in Ancient Tamil literature.

I believe "intra-line" SSR is less frequent

See the characterizations (taken from the Tolkāppiyam), which I gave
yesterday in:

"http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/2015-August/041916.html"

See also for instance, this nice example from the Tolkāppiyam's
characterization of the "verb" (viṉai).

TC195i
viṉaiyeṉap paṭuvatu vēṟṟumai koḷḷātu
niṉaiyuṅ kālaik kālamoṭu tōṉṟum.

We have etukai between "viṉai" and "niṉaiyum", which are both at the
beginning of a line

(I could provide similar examples if you are not convinced ...)

Part of the problem lies in the fact that, people tend to view the rules
of ancient Tamil literature through the lenses of medieval treatises
such as the Yāpparuṅkalam and Yāpparuṅkalak kārikai
(which provide a very rich terminology for many marginal examples of
intra-line SSR)

If you can provde massive evidence from ancient Tamil literature in
order to support your statement, please do

Your with every good wish

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (CNRS)

"https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard"

"https://plus.google.com/u/0/113653379205101980081/posts/p/pub"