[INDOLOGY] Second-syllable rhyme in Dravidian

Kevin M. Ryan kevinryan at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Aug 8 12:46:25 UTC 2015

It's true, echo reduplication (ER) is found widely not only in South
Asia but across the world (cf. e.g. Turkish tabak "dish", tabak-mabak
"dishes and such").

My point in bringing it up in the context of second-syllable rhyme (SSR)
was just that ER (in its specific form reconstructible to Proto-South
Dravidian) and SSR (as amply attested in the oldest surviving Dravidian
literature) work exactly alike phonologically in that they decouple
quantity correspondence (which is required of the initial vowel) from
quality correspondence (which is not required of the initial vowel), a
property not shared by most ER systems of farther north and elsewhere in
the world. I see this specific parallelism in phonology as adding some
support to a Dravidian origin of SSR, though like I said, it's only
suggestive.

The examples of ER from Pahari and Panjabi mentioned in this thread
(cited from Annie Montaut's paper) seem to lack this phonological
peculiarity: In those cases (as in Turkish, etc.), it appears that the
initial vowels correspond completely, i.e., both in quantity and
quality. I wouldn't be surprised if certain other northern South Asian
languages have come to employ a more Dravidian-like version of ER, given
areal convergence, but even if that were the case, it wouldn't speak
against a Dravidian origin of the pattern unless it can be traced back
at least as far in IA as it can in Dravidian, which seems unlikely.

Kevin Ryan