[INDOLOGY] मानवाधिकाराः /// Re: latest AI report on India

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:34:51 UTC 2015

मानवाधिकारा आदरणीयाः

Dear Piotr,

Thanks for these links. Although they concern “post-1800” issues, they may
be of interest to list members for instance in the light of debates on the
compatibility or otherwise of Indian traditions with Human Rights – the
latter according to some all implied by the well-known ‘Golden Rule’ known
in one form or another in most major civilisations. As for Indian
philosophical traditions, at least Sāṁkhya acknowledged humanity as unitary
(SK 53 ... *mānuṣyaś caikavidhaḥ *... ) and we do find occasional
formulations of the ‘Golden Rule’ in Sāṁkhya-like contexts as I once
pointed out in a contribution (www.academia.edu/7117708/) in a volume I
co-edited in 1999 with Prof. Karel van Kooij, *Violence Denied *.... The
thematic of this by now almost “antique” volume finds, unfortunately,
abundant illustration in the Kashmir Report *“Denied”* (2015) for which you
provided the link.

Sometimes things can change for the better, and public opinion has some
impact however difficult to measure it may be. To improve Human Rights
conditions they need to be known both by authorities and the wider public.
The Declaration of Human Rights is now available also in numerous Indian
languages, including Sanskrit

(www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/Language.aspx?LangID=skt

nice reading exercise for modern Sanskrit),

and Kashmiri (www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/Language.aspx?LangID=ksh

only in Perso-Arabic script, the Devanagari version a desideratum if not
available elsewhere).

When I became for a short period active member of the Maastricht branch of
Amnesty International in 1977, we “adopted” among countries with very high
numbers of political prisoners detained without (fair) trial, Israel (under
Begin), Poland (PRL under Jaroszewicz) and Eastern Germany (DDR, under
Honecker), and started to write, both to authorities and to the prisoners
themselves, with the hope at least to improve the prisoners' conditions. At
present the human rights conditions have become significantly better in any
case in the last two areas. If I understood correctly from the only easily
readable part, the Preamble, and from discussions such as P.V. Kane vol. V
pt. II p. 1663ff, also the Indian constitution was formulated and meant to
be in accordance with Human Rights, but this is perhaps a topic not most
suitable for this list.

Best, Jan

मानवाधिकारा आदरणीया भारतीयसंविधानानुसारेणापि

*Jan E.M. HOUBEN*

Directeur d’Études

Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite

*École Pratique des Hautes Études*

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

54, rue Saint-Jacques

CS 20525 – 75005 Paris

johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr

https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben