[INDOLOGY] Query

Patrick Olivelle jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 20 20:54:48 UTC 2015

I received this query from a graduate student, and would appreciate any responses to her question:

In his recent article "Mindsets and Commentarial Conventions among Indian Buddhists" (March 2015 issue of JAAR), one of the issues Richard Nance discusses is the importance of commentarial literature as markers of historical development of ideas from Sanskrit root texts. Nance also acknowledges the problems embedded in the study of commentaries.  Since I use nibandhas in my research, I would greatly appreciate suggestions for further readings of this nature that examine the relevance of commentaries and nibandha literature in pre-modern South Asia.

With thanks,

Patrick