Re: [INDOLOGY] siddha <-> jīvanmukta ?

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Sat Apr 11 16:34:35 UTC 2015

Among Gaudiya Vaishnavas, the terms siddha and jivan-mukta can be used synonymously in some important contexts.

siddha may mean ‘perfected’ or ‘one who has attained the highest object’ etc. Clearly among those who value liberation as a perfection or highest object, the terms may be used synonymously.

Bhagavad-gita is full of verses that speak of being liberated from karma etc in this life, i.e. jivan-mukta

The great Rupa Gosvami, in Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu 1.21.87 speaks of jivan-mukta. It is a standard term.

It depends on how one conceives of mukti, but mukti, however conceived is often considered a siddhi, or perfection of life, apart from other uses of all these terms.

Best,
Howard Resnick