Re: [INDOLOGY] siddha <-> jīvanmukta ?

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Sat Apr 11 16:17:07 UTC 2015

Good afternoon, Patrick,

As it stands, I fear your question is unanswerable because it is not
sufficiently specific. There are numerous terms across Indian traditions
that more or less refer to similar matters, but due to metaphysical,
ontological and soteriological differences they are not equivalent or
exchangeable. One question, for instance, would concern the definition
of mukti: can one speak of mukti while a person is still embodied, or
not? Is mukti to be considered de facto equivalent with enlightenment,
or not? (In Jaina thought, to give just one concrete example, this is
the difference between an ayogakevalin and a sayogakevalin, both of whom
are enlightened. An ayogakevalin is a siddha or mukta. There is no place
for a concept of jīvanmukti here.)

Robert Zydenbos

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos