[INDOLOGY] Tukaram and the name Tuka

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 16:38:09 UTC 2015

Skt. *durgā *>  t*ukka > tuka *is an interesting suggestion, Palaniappan.

Regarding the vowel metaphony ( *u *> *o*/_*a*), Bright (1966) finds
evidence for such non-contiguous vocalic assimilation in non-Dravidian
languages of South Asia including Indo-Aryan languages such as Konkani,
Bengali, Assamese and Sinhala. There are some Prakrit examples too: *nidr**ā
*'sleep' > *ṇeddā. *

But the dissimilatory process of reversal of metaphony ( *o* > *u*/_*a*) is
only found in Tamil-Malayalam, which I believe was developed as a
hyper-correction in the literary dialects of Tamil-Malayalam. I don't
believe Ashok Aklujkar was thinking about this vowel dissimilation when he
proposed Skt. *stoka *> *toka *> *tuka*.

Suresh.