[INDOLOGY] Source of "nAdevo devam arcayet"

Dr. T. Ganesan ganesan at ifpindia.org
Mon Sep 29 11:09:40 UTC 2014

The statement nArudro [= nAshivaH, nAdevo] rudram arcayet / contains the
fundamental Agamic/tantric view that one has to visualise oneself as
[and thereby become] the God one worships and then proceed to the ritual
of worship. This is the underlying theme  of all Agamic/tantraic worship
which is NOT found in the Vedic/puranic tradition.

Ganesan

On 29-09-2014 15:22, Walter Slaje wrote:
> This is interesting, as Maṅkha cherishes the opposite opinion,
> according to which no human (ruler), but only god, deserves praise -
> by man, e.g.:
>
> /mahat kaṣṭam aho hitvā yac charvaṃ sarvataḥśrutim/[1] <#_ftn1>/|/
>
> /garvānavadhibādhiryo nareṇa stūyate naraḥ/ || Śrīkaṇṭhacarita 25.6 ||

> [1] <#_ftnref1> sarvataḥśrutim (em.)]/sarvataḥ śrutim /Ed.
>

> ​ Regards,
> WS
>>
> -----------------------------
> Prof. Dr. Walter Slaje
> Hermann-Löns-Str. 1
> D-99425 Weimar
> Deutschland
>
> Ego ex animi mei sententia spondeo ac polliceor
> studia humanitatis impigro labore culturum et provecturum
> non sordidi lucri causa nec ad vanam captandam gloriam,
> sed quo magis veritas propagetur et lux eius, qua salus
> humani generis continetur, clarius effulgeat.
> Vindobonae, die XXI. mensis Novembris MCMLXXXIII.

> <mailto:ganesan at ifpindia.org>>:
>

>     nAdevo devamarcayet might be a general statement; but in the
>     ancient unpublished text of Sivadharma, there is a passage:
>
>     nārudraḥ saṁsmared rudraṃ nārudro rudram arcayet .
>
>     nārudraḥ kīrtayed rudraṃ nārudro rudram āpnuyāt  .. (Sivadharma,
>     1: 25)
>

>     This idea and the passage may be the basis for all later views
>     expressed in the same fashion.
>
>     Ganesan
>

>     On 29-09-2014 02:45, Chiara Policardi wrote:
>>
>>     Dear List members,
>>
>>     what is the source of the citation “nAdevo devam arcayet”?
>>
>>     It is quoted as “vedic saying” (Coomaraswamy) and “tantrik
>>     saying” (Eliade and others), but I haven’t ever seen the precise
>>     reference.
>>

>>     Thanking you in advance,
>>

>>     Chiara Policardi
>>
>>     PhD student