[INDOLOGY] Narratology

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 02:12:28 UTC 2014

1. In fact it has been applied to the story of Ramayana too.

2. In Das'aroopaka too this comes as part of discussion of Vastu, Vastu in
general and not Vastu of Rupaka alone. Vastubhedas such as Prakhyaata,
Utpaadya and Mis'ra also , though discussed in Das'aroopaka are applied to
the Vastus or Itivrittas of S'ravyakaavyas als.

3. S'aakuntalam is not khyaatavrittam. It is mis'ravrittam.

4. Whether the Panchasandhi structure helps in understanding Vastus of
Roopakas alone or it applies to Vastus of other narrative literary works
also, can be checked by literary scholars. There is nothing inside the
theory which is roopaka-specific.

5. Comparable to this in the western poetics is the  five part structure of
exposition, rising action, climax/crisis, falling action,
denoument/resolution  also in its origin comes from the theory of Drama. Is
it not applied/applicable to other narratives?

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Dipak Bhattacharya <dipak.d2004 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Please forgive this intrusion. I just wonder if Dhananjaya's structure
> holds good for story or only for drama. naa.taka.m khyaatavrtta.m syaat
> pa;ncasandhisamanvitam is so well known that it made me inquisitive.
> Best
> DB
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Nagaraj Paturi <nagarajpaturi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Harsha,
>>
>> https://archive.org/details/Dasarupaka has English translation of
>> Dhananjaya's Das'aroopaka which has an elaborate discussion on how stories
>> are structured. It is called Pancha Sandhi structure. Each Sandhi is made
>> up of a combination of an Arthaprakriti and a Kaaryaavastha.
>>
>> Kaaryaavasthas: aarambha, yatna, praaptyaas'a, niyataapti
>> and phalaagama/phalayoga.
>>
>> Arthaprakritis: beeja, bindu, pataaka, prakaree and kaarya
>>
>> Sandhis :mukha, pratimukha, garbha, avamars'a and upasamhriti/nirvahaNa
>>

>> There are other ways of analysing plot too in other books of Indian
>> poetics.
>>
>> Best wishes to your student.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nagaraj