[INDOLOGY] Narratology

Greg Bailey Greg.Bailey at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 00:59:09 UTC 2014

Dear Harsha,

Your student may find something of interest in my translation and study of the Gaṇeśa Puṛāṇa.  The Introduction to the first volume and the notes to both volumes have much to say about formal narrative structures.

Here are a few others:

A.Mangels, Erzähltechnik im Mahābhārata, Hamburg, 1994.
Bowles, A, Dharma, Disorder and the Political in Ancient India: The Āpaddharmaparvan of the Mahābhārata, Brill, 2007.
Renou, L. Sur La Structure Du Kāvya, JA, 1959, 1–113.

Alf Hiltebeitel's work is also important here and no doubt there are many others.  You will also find some relevant material in the volumes of the Dubrovnik International Conference on the Sanskrit Epics and Purāṇas.

Cheers,

Greg Bailey