[INDOLOGY] Vessantara-Jataka

Eugen Ciurtin e.ciurtin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:42:20 UTC 2014

Dear Prof Koch,

Your example and illustrations are of course rather curious. They are
unknown to the early 19th c. Newari Vess too (as reproduced by the late
Siegfried Lienhard).

However, even for (older) Pali only, the weighing of woman is not unknown.
In the Therīgāthā (v. 153), the nun Anopamā (‘Unsurpassed’), daughter of a
wealthy merchant, is courted by princes and proposed by merchants for eight
times her weight (Masset 2005: 52, ‘huit fois l’équivalent en or et pierres
précieuses!’; and the cty as transl. by Pruitt 1998: 179–180, ‘what she
weighs as measured by those who know marks’). For a context, see my "Karma
accounts: supplementary thoughts on Theravāda, Madhyamaka, theosophy, and
Protestant Buddhism, Religion, 43:4, 487-498, with an addendum
https://www.academia.edu/4245222/Karma_accounts_supplementary_thoughts_on_Therav%C4%81da_Madhyamaka_theosophy_and_Protestant_Buddhism

As far as I know, the best recent work on the *tūlāpuruṣa *belongs
to Annette Schmiedchen:

2003. “Die Tūlāpuruṣa-Zeremonie: Das rituelle Aufwiegen des Herrschers
gegen
Gold.” Beiträge des Südasien-Instituts der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
12: 21–49.

and

2006. The Ceremony of Tūlāpuruṣa: The Puranic Concept and the Epigraphical
Evidence. In Script and Image. Papers on Art and Epigraphy, eds. Adalbert
J. Gail, Gerd J. R. Mevissen,
Richard Salomon, Proceedings of the 12th World Sanskrit Conference 11.1,
New Delhi: Motilal
Banarsidass, 145–184.

Kind regards,
Eugen Ciurtin
(Institute for the History of Religions, Bucharest)