[INDOLOGY] Query

Jennifer Cover jenni.cover at ursys.com.au
Mon Oct 27 11:46:25 UTC 2014

Dear Mathew,

Yes I am aware of the Buddhist interpretation (And I suspect the meaning is
not so far from Patrick’s question.). Narahari has used the verse to
emphasise the difficulty of even beginning on the 7 steps of knowledge. In
the first edition of our book we translated the verse as

17.    Like the passing of the neck of a turtle
         through the eye of a yoke in churning waves,
         a person becomes discerning
         at the end of many births.

But with a closer examination of Divākara’s commentary and in consultation
with a highly-respected Indian Sanskrit scholar we decided a better
translation of the verse (following the commentary) was:

17.    Just like the head of a struggling turtle
         finally surfaces into a calm
         in the midst of  innumerable turbulent waves,
         so a person finally becomes discerning after many births.

Divākara tells of the space in the middle of a pair of waves (yuga he
interprets as yugman).

Jennifer