[INDOLOGY] Query

Jennifer Cover jenni.cover at ursys.com.au
Sun Oct 26 02:07:17 UTC 2014

Dear Patrick,

Another possible Sanskrit verse – from a Kashmir source

…from Bodhasāra by Narahari (in a section on the 7 steps of knowledge in
Rāja Yoga)

athā ca vāsiṣṭhe  |
calārṇavayugacchidrakūrmagrīvāpraveśavat  |
anekajanmanāmante vivekī jāyate pumān  ||17||

Also in the work called Yogavāsiṣṭha,

17.    Just like the head of a struggling turtle
         finally surfaces into a calm
         in the midst of  innumerable turbulent waves,
         so a person finally becomes discerning after many births.

(Cover, Jennifer and Grahame (2014). Bodhasara The surprise of awareness,
Createspace, USA, p174-175)
(Narahari (1905). Bodhasāra (with a commentary by Divākara), Benares
Sanskrit series. Benares: Chowkhamba Sanskrit Book Depot, p223)

F/N (Cover p175-176)
Yogavāsiṣṭha (Nirvāṇaprakaraṇam Book 6.1 Section 126, verse 4)
(Yogavāsiṣṭha of Vālmīki 1984:1050) and Laghu Yogavāsiṣṭha
(Laghu-Yogavāsiṣṭha 6.15.14). The sense here is that it is extremely
difficult to become discerning. There are seven steps of knowledge, but
even to begin on the first step takes effort, and possibly many births. The
difficulty of a struggling turtle finally surfacing into a calm in the
midst of  innumerable turbulent waves, is a clear metaphor for the level of
difficulty. Mark Allon has found a short sūtra, for which this same
powerful image is central, in the third of six texts written on scroll 22
([recto]II. 31-56) of the Gāndhārī texts preserved in the Senior collection
of Kharoṣṭhī Buddhist manuscripts (Allon 2006).([recto]II. 31-56) of the
Gāndhārī texts preserved in the Senior collection of Kharoṣṭhī Buddhist
manuscripts (Allon 2006).

Jennifer
Sydney