[INDOLOGY] query: roman>devanagari conversion

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Wed Oct 22 13:42:58 UTC 2014

I am not sure whether it has been mentioned or not, but I have long used a handy Word macro written a decade ago by Ferenc Ruzsa.  It still works beautifully in my Word for Mac (just as it did when I used a PC).  I simply insert it into the macros, and then assign a keystroke to invoke it (e.g., Command-0).  There is one to convert Unicode transliteration to Unicode Devanagari, and another to reverse the process.  Just select the text to be converted and press a button.  If you want a space between a final consonant-with-virāma and the daṇḍa, or to force a virāma, you need to insert two spaces after the Roman consonant.  The Rom>Dev macro produces nice results in most Devanagari fonts.  The macros are attached.

Best wishes to all,

Tim
Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion and Adjunct Professor of Law
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, Virginia 24450

http://home.wlu.edu/~lubint
http://wlu.academia.edu/TimothyLubin ḷ