[INDOLOGY] Help with Sanskrit Pronouns

Rohana Seneviratne rohana.seneviratne at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 23:22:30 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I will be very much grateful if somebody could kindly locate for me the grammar rule(s) that teach us how to use pronouns in a case like the following.

In a sentence like "आकाशे सूर्यश्चन्द्रो नक्षत्राणि च विलसन्ति",  the subjects are in masculine and neuter. If the next sentence starts with "They", i.e. referring back to the sun, moon and stars in the first sentence, which gender should the pronoun तद् be put in; ते or तानि? We know that in the case of compounds, the gender of the final element governs the gender of the whole compound, but I could not precisely find Paninian rules related to this directly. I also tried Apte's work, Student's Guide to Sanskrit composition, which did not help me in this case unfortunately.

Thank you very much in advance for any helpful lead.

Best Wishes,
Rohana
Rohana Seneviratne
DPhil Student in Sanskrit