Re: [INDOLOGY] Tavener's Flood of Beauty (Saundaryalaharī)

Hartmut Buescher buescherhartmut at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 08:52:38 UTC 2014

Dear Dominik,

thank you, indeed, for providing a link to the premiere performance of the
last major work
by the late Sir John Tavener: a modern classical setting of  “Śaṅkara's
Saundaryalaharī”.
Very interesting!

However, given this is a scholarly list, it may perhaps be necessary to be
slightly more
careful with reproducing ideologically biased ascriptions of authorship.
As well-known, the name of the Advaita philosopher “Śaṅkara” has
unfortunately
served as a hook for innumerable such ascriptions to hang on.

Needless to particularly emphasize, there is a long historical gap between
the times of the Advaita author and the origin of the ŚrīVidyā tradition to
which
the Saundaryalaharī pertains.

Best wishes,

Hartmut Buescher