Re: [INDOLOGY] More about P.C. Bagchi (and S. Lévi)

Eugen Ciurtin e.ciurtin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 16:46:01 UTC 2014

The mystery of this 2009 publication may perhaps be solved taking into
account the opening lines of Akira Yuyama's most valuable overview (listed
on wiki too) of Bagchi's oeuvre:

[image: Images intégrées 1]
If the plan started in 1997, then this would explain the presence of
scholars like *e.g.* Alex Wayman (d. 2004).

A more recent discussion of Lévi-Bagchi links regarding a 'Greater India'
is Susan Bayly, Sylvain Lévi and the Greater India Society', in Lyne
Bansat-Boudon, Roland Lardinois (dir.), Isabelle Ratié (coll.), *Sylvain
Lévi (1863-1935): Études indiennes, histoire sociale*, Turnhout: Brepols,
2007, with a review in *Bulletin d'Études Indiennes* 28-29 (2010-2011)
[2013], pp. 408-418.

Kind regards,
Eugen Ciurtin
(Institute for the History of Religions, Bucharest)

> I do not know the history of the second mentioned volume, but it cannot
> actually date from 2009 since several of the contributors listed on the
> website were quite long dead by that date... I also notice the astonishing
> price asked for the first listed volume--incredible for books printed in
> India, I find.
>
> Cordially, Jonathan Silk
>
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Christophe Vielle <
> christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>
>> About P.C. Bagchi (1898-1956), it should be added that a collection of
>> his papers has been published this year in Kolkata.
>> See the complete reference with the Table of contents at:
>> http://www.vedamsbooks.com/product_detail_print.htm?pid=86305
>>
>> A previous "P.C. Bagchi Centenary Volume" was issued in 2009 - Table of
>> contents available at:
>>
>> http://www.dkagencies.com/doc/from/1063/to/1123/bkId/DK82533217162656333810761071/details.html
>>
>> The Wikipedia article on this author is rather furnished:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prabodh_Chandra_Bagchi
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Christophe Vielle
>>
>> Le 21 nov. 2014 à 17:10, Dipak Bhattacharya <dipak.d2004 at gmail.com> a
>> écrit :
>>
>> 21.11.14
>>
>> Thanks, dear colleagues! Bagchi's translation is available here but not
>> the original.
>>
>> I just relate some old anecdotes. We owe it to the poet Tagore that
>> Bagchi translated the work into English. Lévi made such an impression upon
>> Tagore that the latter requested Lévi to train Bagchi in his own way. Lévi
>> and Bagchi became legends at Santiniketan.
>>
>> I also thank Professor Houben who was instrumental in my becoming a
>> member of Indology.
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> DB
>>

>> *De: *Christophe Vielle <christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be>
>> *Objet: **Rép : Converted files of Bagchi*
>> *Date: *15 novembre 2014 12:34:54 UTC+1
>>
>> Thank you very much for this,
>> I just discover your message in the same time as the one of Peter Peter
>> Wyzlic below.
>> Best wishes,
>> Christophe Vielle
>>

>> Ok, I worked a bit on the files (reducing the size, adding OCR [a rather
>> crude one], changing the page orientations). You will find Vol. 1 under
>> Vol. 2 under URL: <
>> https://archive.org/details/BagchiCanonBouddhiqueChineVol2>
>>
>> But the entry is currently processed by the Archive.org
>> <http://archive.org/> uploading system, so it may take some time to be
>> ready. So look in some hours or the next day. When the files are ready I
>> can add links from Vol 1 to Vol 2 and vice versa.
>>
>> All the best
>> Peter Wyzlic
>>
>> Le 15 nov. 2014 à 03:23, Seishi Karashima a écrit :
>>
>> Dear Dr. Vielle,
>> I have made the PDF files, which you kindly placed on INDOLOGY,
>> searchable.
> [...]

Dr E. Ciurtin
Secretary of the Romanian Association for the History of Religions

Publications Officer of the European Association for the Study of Religions
www.easr.eu

Lecturer & Secretary of the Scientific Council
Institute for the History of Religions, Romanian Academy
Calea 13 Septembrie no. 13 sect. 5, Bucharest 050711
Phone: 00 40 733 951 953