[INDOLOGY] Cross-section panel at the WSC 2015: Manuscript Collections—What, How and Why should we catalogue

C.A. Formigatti caf57 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 22:48:42 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

As the submission deadline for the World Sanskrit Conference is drawing
near (November 30), we thought it proper to tell the Indological
community that there are still a couple of free slots in the panel we
are organising, especially in the section on the definition and analysis
of manuscript collections as a whole.

Call for paper:

'Manuscript Collections—What, How and Why should we catalogue'

The present panel "Manuscript collections—what, how and why should we
catalogue" will take place across two sections of the WSC: 'Sanskrit and
the IT World' and 'Manuscriptology'. The driving idea behind this panel
originates from the recently completed three-year project on the
Cambridge collections of Sanskrit (and generally Indic) manuscripts.
The panel is intended to be divided in three tables. The first table,
dealing with "What" should be catalogued, will be organised within the
Manuscriptology section and will focus on issues of definition and
delimitations, in the attempt to assess what a manuscript is and what a
manuscript collection (including both modern collections and pre-modern
libraries) can be considered to be, with a sub-focus on the history of
collections and manuscripts, both in Europe and in the Indian
subcontinent. The theoretical nature of this panel will be balanced by
concrete case-studies such as the Cambridge collections. The second
table, dealing with "How" manuscripts should be catalogued, will be
organised within the 'Sanskrit and IT world' and will focus on the
contemporary 'digital' modes of cataloguing and on the paradigm shift
that they embody in the way of conceiving any study of manuscripts
collections, with particular attention to issues of standardisation,
accessibility, improvability and storage. The third table, about "Why"
should manuscript collections be catalogued, will be organised within
the 'Manuscriptology' section and will focus on the specific research
avenues that online cataloguing is opening up, especially in the fields
of quantitative codicology, palaeography, research into manuscript
materiality, history of knowledge transmission, etc., without however
disregarding more 'traditional', philological contributions ensuing from
the study of manuscript collections, such as discovery of lost texts,
critical editions and so forth.
With this panel, we hope to offer an original contribution to the
ongoing debate in the field of Manuscript Studies and its centrality in
the understanding of the history and culture of the Indian subcontinent.
Moreover, we aim at showing how the honing of sharp theoretical tools
and the full understanding of the practical tools offered by IT are
essential aspects of the research into both textuality and materiality
of the South Asian manuscript culture.

Camillo Formigatti
Mongolia & Inner Asia Studies Unit
University of Cambridge