[INDOLOGY] Hathayogapradipika 1.38

Jason Birch letusconnect at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:05:07 UTC 2014

Dear Kenneth Zysk,
In the Dattātreyayogaśāstra, there is a verse in which ahiṃsā is regarded as a niyama. The Dattātreyayogaśāstra was probably written three or four centuries before the Haṭhapradīpikā.
laghvāhāras tu teṣv eko mukhyo bhavati nāpare |ahiṃsā niyameṣv eko mukhyo bhavati nāpare||33||
In fact, Svātmārāma borrows other verses from the Dattātreyayogaśāstra, so HP 1.38ab may have been inspired by DYŚ 33.
You are right to say that HP 1.16-17 were appended. In Kaivalyadhama's critical edition, only one of the eleven manuscripts in the apparatus has these verses on yama and niyama. However, they do appear in the four printed editions consulted by the editors. Also, I recall that the version of the text commented on by Brahmānanda includes the verses on yama/niyama and, presumably, nearly all modern editions have followed this.
Best wishes,
Jason