[INDOLOGY] [RISA-L LIST] Report: 6th Intl. Vedic Workshop

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 20:38:15 UTC 2014

Palaniappan:

*vāram *recitation refers to the recitation of mantras by multiple people
in turns. *vāra-, *perhaps derived from √vr̥- also has the meanings of 'day
of the week' (turn of the day?), again and again (*vāraṁ-vāraṁ,
vāra**ṁ** vāreṇa)
and occasion *(related to Hindi* bār-, bāri* 'turn' [CDIAL
11547<http://dsalsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.3:1:1712.soas>])
etc.

Interestingly, Dravidian *cāri/s**āri *[DEDR
2464<http://kolichala.com/DEDR/search.php?q=2464&esb=1>]
shows similar semantics of turn, time, occasion etc., although, I don't
believe these two words are related.

Suresh.
Atlanta, GA.