[INDOLOGY] Report: 6th Intl. Vedic Workshop

palaniappa at aol.com palaniappa at aol.com
Sun Mar 30 15:22:44 UTC 2014

Michael,

I am intrigued by the term 'vāram recitation'. Can you describe this mode of recitation? In the Cilappatikāram, the term 'vāram pāṭal', i.e., singing vāram is used. It is also mentioned in Tolkāppiyam Poruḷatikāram 653. V. P. K. Sundaram, the late musicologist, explains vāram as two akṣaras per unit time. I am curious how the term is used in the context of Vedic recitation.

Thanks

Regards,
Palaniappan