Re: [INDOLOGY] Brāhmaṇa and Savarṇa

palaniappa at aol.com palaniappa at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 20:27:57 UTC 2014

Thank you for the information. This is interesting. Given that Savarṇas are most often seen as physicians, I would have expected savarṇa-vṛtti to be glossed as a grant for the livelihood of a physician instead of a scribe. Is the posted interpretation given by Sircar or T. N. Subramanian? Is there any reference to an inscription or SITI reference?

Regards,
Palaniappan