[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 19:35:34 UTC 2014

About pītala (if that's the word), if this is a formation with the -la
suffic (lac) by Pāṇini 5.2.96-99, then the suffix means the same as
mat(up), i.e.,  "having yellow."  Would this be an author trying to be
precise, meaning that the result of alchemical process "had yellow" rather
than actually *being* yellow?

However, there may be a problem with pīta-la.  Of words that are not -ā
stems meaning a part of the body, the list that can have a -la suffix,
sidhmādi, includes pitta, but not pīta.   I'm away from my main reference
books: is सिध्मादि an आकृतिगण?  If not, then Pāṇini would seem not to allow
the formation pīta-la.

My more learned vyākaraṇa colleagues might be able to clarify this point.

Best,
Dominik

​