[INDOLOGY] Alchemy metaphor

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 17:42:28 UTC 2014

About the rasa-viddha-tāmra-kanaka-nyāya,

for what it's worth, the irreversible transformation into gold of copper that is described as rasaviddha is indeed an image found in a number of old tantric sources, starting perhaps with the Sarvajñānottaratantra. Such gold, it is claimed, can never be transformed back into copper, just as recidivism from the state of Śiva-hood is impossible for the soul who has undergone initiation.

The maxim is typically formulated in this way (with some variants here and there, notably for the first word !):

rasaviddhaṃ yathā tāmraṃ hematvaṃ pratipadyate|
tathātmā jñānasambandhāt śivatvaṃ pratipadyate||

A number of passages are cited in footnote 904 of the translation of the Parākhyatantra (on verse 15.59).

In this stock formulation, by the way, nothing absolutely precludes the translation "penetrated"; but note that rasaviddha appears to be used in the Arthaśāstra (2.13.3) as the name for a type of gold (not as a qualification for copper), which is arguably evidence of a (rather old) semantic shift for the element -viddha in this context.

Dominic Goodall