[INDOLOGY] Interview with the new ICHR Chairman

Bijlert, V.A. van v.a.van.bijlert at vu.nl
Sun Jul 13 15:36:15 UTC 2014

That is very interesting. But does this mean that the whole text of the Valmiki Ramayana or the Mahabharata should be treated as a more or less faithful representation of facts. Is that the main function of the epics? I do not question the idea that the epics constitute some kind of meaningful sacred narrative with some historically accurate details worked into it. The same is true of the Old Testament. But can one use the Mahabharata and the Ramayana to 'rewrite' the history of ancient India in such a way that the latter is 'purged' of western influences. I think this is the burden of the initial part of this discussion. My contribution to it was to point out that the epics stand in need of more refined hermeneutics, in order to avoid rewritings of ancient Indian history.
Yours truly
Victor van Bijlert

________________________________

Dr. Victor A. van Bijlert
Associate professor Religious Studies
Department of Philosophy of Religion and Comparative Study of Religions
Faculty of Theology, VU University
De Boelelaan 1105, NL-1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
v.a.van.bijlert at vu.nl<mailto:v.a.van.bijlert at vu.nl>
+31613184203
While there was no historical awareness in pre-modern India in the modern sense of history, many genealogies of medieval kings (including the Bhosales of Maharashtra) begin with the coronation of Yudhishthira, and so they are treating the epic and puranic lists as historical in their own understanding of history.

Madhav Deshpande