[INDOLOGY] Indian reprint

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Jul 7 06:48:58 UTC 2014

Dear list members,

Through a friend Peter Khoroche learnt that our book Poems on Life and Love in Ancient India. Hāla's Sattasaī (Albany: SUNY Press 2009) has been reprinted in India by Motilal Banarsidass. It is not just a reprint. To begin with, Motilal has changed the title (Poems of Love … instead of Poems on Love …). Furthermore they have added a subtitle Gāthāsaptaśatī in Prākrit as though the Sattasaī were translated from a Sanskrit original. To make matters worse, in the advertisement Motilal confused me with Hermann Jacobi. They could not even get the latter's name right and wrote Herman (with one n) Jacobi. When we contacted SUNY Press to find out what had happened we were told off: subsidiary rights sales are handled exclusively by SUNY Press as the publisher, so who were we to bother them with our questions. A sobering experience!

Herman Tieken

Herman Tieken
University of Leiden
The Netherlands