[INDOLOGY] Corrections in Manuscripts

C.A. Formigatti caf57 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 07:11:32 UTC 2014

Dear Dr Montelle,

Besides the seminal work by Janetr suggested by Prof. Slaje and the two
Gujarati works suggested by Dr Patel, it is worth having a look at
Murthy's Introduction to Manuscriptology. According to Murthy (p. 109),
"In a context, letter/s or word/s may have to be omitted. [...]
sometimes, yellow pigment or turmeric is smeared over such portion."

This technique was very widespread, but judging from the manuscripts in
our Cambridge collection (a fair sample of 1600 mss) I have the
impression that it was applied more often on paper manuscripts, whereas
in the case of palm-leaf manuscripts other techniques were more often
employed -- for instance, expunction, deletion or erasing of the
relevant aksaras or of an entire passage. Yet we do not have any
quantitative study.

Another very useful book that you can consult on the topic of
corrections is of course

Einicke, Katrin:
Korrektur, Differenzierung und Abkürzung in indischen Inschriften und
Handschriften / Katrin Einicke. - Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 2009.

Best wishes,

Camillo Formigatti