[INDOLOGY] Corrections in Manuscripts

Clemency Montelle clemency.montelle at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jul 3 04:26:12 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I have been considering the ways in which scribes made corrections in the manuscripts they were copying, specifically in numerical tables.  Of course, there are a variety of practices that  (some are neater than others!).  One way of interest is the use of what appears to be (in the colour copies of manuscripts I have) a yellowish paste or paint (an early version of modern day “white-out” or “twink”?) which can then written over.

I attach a couple of examples. (The first example it has been used along several successive values in the third row, and in the second an entire column as well as individual entries.)

Does anybody know more about this technique?  What was the substance used?  How widespread is this?  Where can I read more about this?

With best wishes,
Clemency

Dr Clemency Montelle
http://www.math.canterbury.ac.nz/~c.montelle/
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wananga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800, Christchurch 8140
NEW ZEALAND
ph +64 3 364 2267
fax +64 3 364 2587

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.