Re: [INDOLOGY] The ritual use of kārīṣi instead of gomaya

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 01:40:10 UTC 2014

Could kārīṣi be a corruption of kaariirii, which is a relatively minor ritual (i.s.ti)  performed to induce rain fall? The nature of this ritual is such that it could have been common to Brahmanism and Buddhism. Research is making it increasingly clear that as lived religions (as distinct from philosophical religions) Brahmanism and Buddhism were much closer than scholarship has so far taken them to be.

(There is also an old article by P.V. Bapat on the names of 'Brahmin' ritual names (;samyaappraasa etc.) occurring in Buddhist texts. I do not have the reference at hand.)

If you quote the full passage, it would perhaps be easier to find a solution.

a.a.