[INDOLOGY] Wendy Doniger's book to be withdrawn in India by Penguin India

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 10:14:57 UTC 2014

​Dear colleagues,

​
​I am appalled to learn of yet another book-banning episode in India, this
time
​affecting our colleague Wendy Doniger.​

​Yesterday, if I understand correctly, Penguin India agreed to withdraw the
book rather than fight the law case:

   - ​
   http://scroll.in/article/penguin-agrees-to-pulp-us-scholars-book-on-hinduism-on-pressure-from-fundamentalists?id=656104

​If you read the five objections offered against the
book<http://scroll.in/article/five-piece-of-evidence-offered-by-fundamentalist-group-against-donigers-hinduism-book?id=656130>,
they are risible.  It beggars belief that any court, much less a publisher,
would take objections of this type seriously.

As a Penguin Delhi author myself, I shall be writing to Penguin India to
protest this dark-ages ruling.  ​
​

​Penguin Delhi's contact details are here:
http://www.penguinbooksindia.com/en/content/contact-us

Dominik Wujastyk
University of Vienna​