[INDOLOGY] Scriptures and yugas in the Tantras

Paolo Magnone paolo.magnone at unicatt.it
Thu Dec 4 17:57:19 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

At p. 42 of his/_Introduction to Tantraśāstra/_  as well as at p. 36 of
his _/Principles of Tantra/_  Woodroffe/Avalon has the Kulārṇava Tantra
say that “for each age (yuga) a suitable Śāstra is given — namely, in
Satyayuga, Śruti; in Tretā, Smṛti; in Dvāpara, the Purāṇas; and in the
Kali age the Tantra”, and even quotes in a footnote the following śloka:

/kṛte śrutyukta ācāras tretāyāṃ smṛtisambhavaḥ//
//dvāpare tu purāṇoktaṃ kalau āgamakevalam/

without, however, giving a reference. I don’t know of any searchable
digital text of the Kulārṇava Tantra, so I have tried to spot the
passage by leafing through the digital edition in Bengali script by
Upendrakumāra Dāsa which is available in the Internet Archive, without
success.

Woodroffe further points to the first /ullāsa /of the Mahānirvāṇa
Tantra, as well to the Kubjīka Tantra (likewise without reference) for a
similar allocation of the scriptures to each of the four ages.

Would any /tāntrika /on the list be in measure to identify the passage,
or point out similar passages in other tantric works?

Thank you,
Paolo Magnone

--
Paolo Magnone