[INDOLOGY] Science and art in classical/early modern India

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Mon Dec 1 21:20:48 UTC 2014

I'm sure there must exist, though I can't offhand recall seeing,
scholarly discussions of concepts corresponding more or less closely to
'science' and 'art' in classical (and perhaps early modern) India. In
Sanskrit, I suppose relevant terms would include śāstra and kalā. I'm
thinking of contexts like the modern debate (which I have often heard,
in English, in India) over whether astrology is a science or an art, or
both.

I would be grateful for any reading suggestions on this topic.

Martin Gansten