[INDOLOGY] Origin of the term "Indology"

Rosane Rocher rrocher at sas.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 22 02:08:56 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I wish I knew.  Please keep me copied if anyone knows.  The term is
clearly linked to the professionalization of the discipline in the early
19th century (barring an early-bird neologism in the 18th).  This most
likely takes us to Germany or France.  The OED notes the first
occurrence of "Indology" very late, in 1888, and tellingly, in a Trübner
catalog.  The first use I can recall offhand, and then of the related
term "Indologen," occurs in a letter Christan Lassen sent A. W. v.
Schlegel from Paris on 10 June 1825: "Von den Indologen ist mir nur Herr
Burnouf zu Gesicht gekommen," in which he used the term in the flat
tones of a well-worn word. Might we engage in a collective game of "beat
that date," and see how far back we might reach?

In a related question, I wonder how accepted Indology/Indologie and
related terms are accepted in common parlance in different languages.
In spite of the OED's listing, my spellcheck consistently flags
"Indology" and related terms as faulty.  I also recall the concern a
British well-wisher expressed at the prospect of a (now published) book
going by the title "The Making of Western Indology," since "Indology is
not a word."  We explained that it was the name of our discipline, and I
remember pointing out that it was also the name of our professional
listserv.  Our friend was too polite to insist, but I am afraid that it
convinced him right there and then that our book was not intended for
the general public!

Best wishes,
Rosane Rocher
Professor Emerita of South Asia Studies