[INDOLOGY] The Longevity of Crows

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 05:34:45 UTC 2014

Dear Luis (and Bob),

Have you checked ;Sakuna texts? The only one I have access to at present, namely the Vasanta-raaja, named after its author (in an 1878 edition by Eugen Hultzsch and in a 1997 (reprint?) edition published by ;Srii-ve:nkate;svara Press), has a long section, dvaada;sa varga, devoted to the significance of different types of crow cries. Although it does not explicitly say that "other creatures hall have no power over (a crow)" or (a crow) shall have no fear of death", it seems to presuppose something very close to that proposition. Therefore, you may find what you are looking for in the works of Varaaha-mihira, Sahadeva-and-Bhaa.da.lii, et al.

A Marathi encyclopaedia, Bhaaratiiya Sa.msk.rti-ko;sa (vol 2, p. 307, right column), says kaava.laa amara asato, a;siihii samajuuta aahe = "It is also believed that a crow is immortal.", but it does not provide a text reference. On p. 221 (right column), the same encyclopaedia says that, according to Tulasii's Raamaaya.na, a devotee named Kaaka-bhu;su.n.dii lives in the form of a crow and never dies (no chapter and verse of Tulasii's Raamaaya.na is specified).

A Gonda creation story summarised on p. 307 of the Bhaaratiiya Sa.msk.rti-ko;sa (vol 2) assigns an important role to a crow.

Best.

ashok