[INDOLOGY] References on women scholars in ancient and medieval India

Agathe Keller kellera at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Aug 19 11:44:01 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

I have been asked by a non indologist colleague for references on women
scholars in ancient and medieval India. Do you know of an article or a book
which would deal directly with this subject?

I have noted so far for him:

Witzel, Michael. 2009. Female Rishis and philosophers in the
Veda? Journal of South Asia Women Studies 11(1).
http://asiatica.org/jsaws/11-1/female-rishis-and-philosophers-veda/

And

Mary McGee, Ritual Rights The Gender Implications of Adhikdra in L. Patton
ed Jewels of Authority, OUP 2002. 32-50 (esp. p.42)

but this is very meager and vedic...

I can't help but feel that there is a very obvious reference that I must be
lacking

thanking you in advance for your help,

Agathe

--
Agathe Keller

tel : +33 1 57 27 68 87
Université Paris 7 Laboratoire SPHERE UMR 7219
Bâtiment Condorcet
Parcels: 3è étage bureau 387A
Office: 6th floor 688 A
 10 rue A.Domont et L.Duquet