[INDOLOGY] Pali question

Chris Clark chris.clark at inbox.com
Fri Aug 8 23:56:04 UTC 2014

Dear Gleb,

While hitvā is standard Pāli, in this verse hitva is m.c. for hitvā, as pointed out by Norman (2006: 391) in his translation and study of Sn (“The Group of Discourses”). Based on the critical apparatus of the PTS edition, it appears that hitva was the reading found in the editors' Sinhala script manuscript witnesses, while hitvā was the reading found in their Burmese script manuscript witnesses. Neither reading is erroneous.

Regards,
Chris Clark
PhD candidate
University of Sydney

---

Dear Dr. Walser,

"-tvā" is perfectly grammatical and standard, while "-tva" isn't (must be a typo. Most PTS editions were made on a basis of only a few MSS.) See Geiger's "A Pāli grammar", §§ 209-210.

With best regards,
Gleb Sharygin