[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Snakes and Ladders

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 13:55:40 UTC 2013

I think the particular "Snakes and Ladders" illustration at the London RAS
that you refer to, Valerie, is the basis of Pargiter's 1916 article:

    @article{parg-indi,
     jstor_articletype = {research-article},
     title = {An Indian Game; Heaven or Hell},
     author = {Pargiter, F. E.},
     journal = {Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain
and Ireland},
     jstor_issuetitle = {},
     volume = {},
     number = {},
     jstor_formatteddate = {Jul., 1916},
     pages = {pp. 539-542},
     url = {http://www.jstor.org/stable/25189453},
     ISSN = {0035869X},
     abstract = {},
     language = {English},
     year = {1916},
     publisher = {Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland},
     copyright = {Copyright © 1916 Royal Asiatic Society of Great
Britain and Ireland},
    }

It was donated to the RAS in 1831, together with now-lost dice and ivory
playing pieces.

A quick search for "snakes and ladders" in JSTOR produces a much bigger
secondary literature than I would have guessed.

​Best,
Dominik​

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk