Re: [INDOLOGY] Patañjali's syntax

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Wed Oct 30 19:40:49 UTC 2013

Dear Adriano,

However one wishes to explain yad here, this basic sentence structure -- [predicate noun/adj] [+/- ha/hi] [+/- vai] [demonstative pronoun as subject] yad [noun] is ubiquitous in Brāhmaṇa prose.  Just try a mechanical search of Vedic prose and you get many hits.  The meaning is pretty clear.  For what it is worth, Hans's explanation seems best to me.  Clearly all these yads cannot be glossed with yasmāt!

from KS:
utsannayajño vā eṣa yad agniḥ
devaratho vā eṣa yad yajñas
samṛtayajño vā eṣa yad darṣapūrṇamāsau   << note that eṣa agrees with yajñaḥ perhaps by attraction

TS:
mahān hy eṣa yad agnis  2.5.9.1
viprā hy ete yac chuśruvāṃsaḥ  2.5.9.2
purīṣāyatano vā eṣa yad agnis  5.1.2.4
vajrī vā eṣa yad aśvas 5.1.2.6
etc. etc.

JUB 1.22:
indra eṣa yad udgātā

ŚBM:
devapātraṃ vā eṣa yad agnis  (1.4.2.13)
devapātraṃ vā eṣa yad vaṣaṭkāraḥ (1.7.2.13)
prajāpatir vā eṣa yad aṃśuḥ (4.6.1.1)
bṛhaspatisavo vā eṣa yadvājapeyam (5.2.1.19)  << same lack of agreement
prajāpatir vā eṣa yad ajarṣabha[ḥ]  (5.2.1.24)
varuṇasavo vā eṣa yad rājasūyaṃ  (5.3.4.12)   << lack of agreement
etc. etc.

This is only a portion found from one search ("eṣa yad"; plus one found by chance); using all the other forms of eṣa-, and other sandhi for yad will produce a list of hundreds.

e.g., from KS:
sṛṣṭir vā etad had agnihotram

TS 2.4.11.1:
gāyatrī vā eṣā yad uṣṇihā
TS 6.2.10.4:
vajra iva vā eṣā yad abhrir

It would seem that setting off the subject by the intervening yad has the effect of relaxing the sense that the demonstrative pronoun must agree with it, allowing occasional attraction to the predicate.

Best wishes,
Tim

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion