[INDOLOGY] vikira - a body of water?

Adheesh Sathaye adheesh1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:44:56 UTC 2013

Dear Vitus,

Perhaps it is related to a "niṣyandaja" (trickle-born) type of water described in the pānabhoga section of the Mānasollāsa of Someśvara: (verse 1609 in vol. 2, p137)

vālukāsu karair gartaṃ kṛtvā yat prāpyate jalam |
utkṣepaṇena nairmalyaṃ yāti niṣyandajaṃ hi tat ||

this water seems to be created by digging a hole in the sandy banks of the river, and letting it fill up with (river) water. The water moving up (utkṣepaṇa) through the sand gives it filtration (nairmalyam).

so perhaps the "vikīrya" in your sentence corresponds to this utkṣepaṇa. I'm not terribly convinced by my own explanation, however.

Best wishes,

Adheesh

----
Adheesh Sathaye