[INDOLOGY] Article/request

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 16:03:17 UTC 2013

Dear Herman and all,

I can do no better than to echo Audrey's comments.  Academia.edu has
emerged in recent years as a very useful place for academics to network and
exchange their papers.  It's a kind of Facebook for serious people, and
very low-nuisance.  A lot of us are benefitting from it already, as a way
to stay au courant with each other's publications.  It was founded by a
fellow of All Souls in Oxford: what more need I say :-)

One of the points about Academia.edu is that responsibility for uploading
papers is distributed, which means that each individual scholar takes
responsibility for their own copyright issues.  This is is better than
having a central repository that could be targetted like <http://Library.nu>
Library. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library.nu>nu<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library.nu>was,
last year.  (Though I suppose a consortium of publishers could attack
Academia.edu for making it too easy for the rest of us.)

Finally, Audrey hits the nail on the head again about copyright.  There are
ready-made licenses out there that are recommended for academic authors.
See here for further
links<http://cikitsa.blogspot.co.at/2012/01/copyright-and-open-access.html>.
Just download one<http://copyrighttoolbox.surf.nl/copyrighttoolbox/download/licence_to_publish.doc>and
send it to your publisher when they as you to transfer copyright.
Say,
"I'd rather give you a license like this."

Best,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk