Re: [INDOLOGY] Meaning and Explanation of 'chāyāpuruṣa'

Johannes Schneider johannes.schneider at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Oct 14 07:20:33 UTC 2013

For Hindu, Buddhist and Jain texts on this subject please have a look at
Shingo Einoo, The signs of death and their contexts, in Shoun Hino and
Toshihiro Wada (eds.), Three mountains and sebven rivers, Delhi 2004,
pp. 871-886. There is also a method of divination based on the
after-image after starring at one's shadow and closing the eyes then.
Cf. my edition of Vagisvarakirti's Mrtyuvancanopadesa (ed. Wien 2010),
chapter I, 26-33 and 93 seqq., with some more parallels.

J. S.

--
PD Dr. Johannes Schneider
Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften