Re: [INDOLOGY] Meaning and Explanation of 'chāyāpuruṣa'

Patrick Olivelle jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 13 19:09:31 UTC 2013

This may have nothing to do with the Tantric use of the term, but chāyāpuruṣa occurs as a measurement, often related to the sundial, in Kauṭilya's Arthaśāstra: 1.19.6-7; 2.20.10, 39 (have notes to these). And on the ability to eliminate one's shadow: 14.3.5-15. The length of a chāyāpuruṣa appears to be 12 aṅgulas.

Patrick