[INDOLOGY] query: 18 ;sre.nii jaatis

palaniappa at aol.com palaniappa at aol.com
Mon Oct 14 06:47:40 UTC 2013

We should keep in mind that the list of Tamil groups did not indicate caste groups always. And their indicated status was not true for earlier historical period. For instance, paṟaiyaṉ was not an untouchable in the 11th century.  Occaṉ (should be really ōccaṉ aka uvaccaṉ) were not Dalits. In fact, earlier, uvaccaṉ represented titles of those who played drums in the temples, which included brahmins too. Paḷḷi could indicate vaṉṉiyar.  Valaiyaṉ could represent those belonging to the valaiyar caste, who hunt small game and today call themselves Muthurajas. Pāṇaṉ was a bard long before he was a tailor.

Regards,
Palaniappan